Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stelling Banjo?

Re:Stelling Banjo? 14 years 7 months ago #1692

I have been on vacation so haven't been to the site in about a month. But just a couple of points about the classic Stelling. I bought a 1979 Golden Cross that Dave referred to in his e-mail, It did indeed cost me about $600.00 in repair including shipping. The repair however was to remove a Chubb 5th String capo and re-install spikes. Geoff Stelling could have fixed it cheaply but we agreed to him re-finishing the neck to put it in next to new condition. While he had the banjo he also re-fretted it. I asked him about installing a Tony Pass rim and he did not think it would add anything to the sound. the older instruments tend to mellow with age and that to me was more important than the old wood rim. He also installed strings, head, and old wood Stelling bridge. So what I paid $600.00 for was a complete rebuild to as new condition with aged mellow tone. When I was at the Galax festival a few weeks ago, the consensus of people I talked to was that old is best. I saw a lot 1950-60-70 Gibsons, many old Stellings, and a host of old instruments I never heard of. When you are as old as I am, we cherish old stuff. It is my own bias, but I don't think you can go wrong on any Stelling that is in good repair. Old Wood rim aged under water, or old wood rim aged by time on dry land, I prefer the later. I still saved about a thousand dollars over new. Enjoy and keep practicing!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds